Article Home

From: "jamesewood" <jamesewood@y...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 7:15 pm
Subject: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

In March of last year, I developed a new alcohol stove that I think
was (and still is) unique. Called the SUPER CAT, it is extraordinarily
simple, yet is one of the hottest burning alcohol stoves I've seen.

I recently decided (January 30, 2005) to release the design into the
public domain. If you're interested, you can find more information and
build instructions at: http://timberwolf.us/SuperCat

Jim Wood.

From: "bstrickus" <b-strick@c...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 8:50 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

Jim, has a great little side burning stove that requires no pot
support, burns well and works with small diameter pots!

All you need is a good wind screen!

I have built several, and the one I like most uses 20, 3/16s holes
around the top and 10, 1/4" holes for the burner. I just raise the
bottom holes 1/16.

You can see a picture of mine at.....

Great little stove Jim, thanks for sharing!

From: "jamesewood" <jamesewood@y...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 9:02 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

Wow, I'm impressed. I only posted the message a short while ago and
you've already built several stoves and posted a photo!

By the way, I've also been busy and just added a feedback page to my
website (http://timberwolf.us/SuperCat). It consolidates the comments
received thus far from a number of backpacking forums and other
sources. Some interesting suggestions for design mods...

Thanks,
Jim.

From: "bstrickus" <b-strick@c...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 9:10 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

Jim, I've had a head start on most of you.....I build the first one
about two years ago.....as they say, great minds think alike!

From: "James R Bennett" <benne129@m...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 9:59 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

ok, I clicked on the link and like the simple design. I'm fond of my tin
can stove, I do like the pot support aspect that your stove has and it seems
that I could get that onto an airplane. do you pour out your "extra" fuel
or just burn it off? some folks snuff their tin can stoves w/a tuna can.
then again, I use my legs for a wind screen sometimes...

han

From: "jamesewood" <jamesewood@y...>
Date: Fri Feb 4, 2005 10:09 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

As mentioned in the build instructions, you can either burn off excess fuel
or snuff out the flame when cooking is complete. The instructions also talk
about multiple ways to extinguish the flame, including use of a dedicated
"snuffer cup".

Thanks, Jim.

From:  Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@g...>
Date:  Sat Feb 5, 2005  4:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [BackpackingLight] Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

Simple, elegant, I'll make it tonight. I'll try it with methanol (yellow Heet)

Ralph

From:  "Don Ladigin" <dladigin@y...>
Date:  Sat Feb 5, 2005  2:51 pm
Subject:  Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

The holes in this stove are extremely cleanly done. They don't look
drilled or pushed through with an awl. Are they punched? And if so,
where did you get the 3/16" and 1/4" punches? Thanks! Don L.

From: "bstrickus" <b-strick@c...>
Date: Sat Feb 5, 2005 8:35 pm
Subject: Re: New Alcohol Stove
------------------------------------------------

Don,

I use a drill on them....just kidding! Have you ever heard of
a "Whitney Punch" do a search and you will find this clever tool. It
is heavy duty and has interchangeable punches from 1/16 to 9/32s.
You can pay up to $70 for it, but they go much cheaper on e-bay. I
bought one made in Tiwan, and had to rebuild it, before I could use
it! So you get what you pay for!

Note from Jim Wood: See the Roper Whitney website for a look at this tool.

From: "Don Ladigin" <dladigin@y...>
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2005 3:08 pm
Subject: Whitney Punch
------------------------------------------------

No, I never had heard of a Whitney Punch before, but it looks like it does a great job. Do you use thin fiberglass in the burner or other wicking material? Thanks very much!

Don L.

From: "bstrickus" <b-strick@c...>
Date: Sun Feb 6, 2005 4:35 pm
Subject: Re: Whitney Punch
------------------------------------------------

Don,

The simplicity of this stove is that it is so simple....no wicking
material whatsoever, just the holes!

From: <paintbox@b...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 10:39 am
Subject: Whitney Punch

Didn't catch the beginning of this thread, but I operate a Whitney plasma/punch at my job.

From: "bstrickus" <b-strick@c...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 10:57 am
Subject: Re: Whitney Punch

We were talking about the #5 jr. that can be seen at
Great tool for punching holes!

--- In BackpackingLight@yahoogroups.com, <paintbox@b...> wrote:
> Didn't catch the begining of this thread, but I operate a Whitney
plasma/punch at my job.

From: "Mike Martin" <mmmei@a...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 11:38 am
Subject: Re: Whitney Punch

Check this one out for $12:

-Mike

From: "Don Ladigin" <dladigin@y...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 1:42 pm
Subject: Punch

Right, Mike, that punch looks adequate for the thin aluminum we'd be
working with for home-made stoves, and easier on the stove-making
budget than $70 for the "made in USA" punch, even with $6 shipping.

Bet it's the same as (or similar to) Bruce's punch. Bruce, is this
the punch that had to be rebuilt before it was usable? How extensive
was the work you had to do to your punch to get it to make those
beautiful clean holes? Thanks! Don L.

"Mike Martin" <mmmei@a...> wrote:
> Check this one out for $12:
> www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44060

From: "Mike Martin" <mmmei@a...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 2:31 pm
Subject: Re: Punch

Don-

I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives.

/Mike

PS -- I've found the perfect pot for these alcohol stoves. 1.7oz!

www.prolitegear.com/snow_peak_titanium_bowl_stw003t.html

From: "Don Ladigin" <dladigin@y...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 2:52 pm
Subject: Re: Punch

Great, I think more than one person on this list would like to know.

What do you plan to use as a lid for the bowl/pot? Thanks, Don L.

"Mike Martin" <mmmei@a...> wrote;
> I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it looks when it arrives.
> /Mike
> PS -- I've found the perfect pot for these alcohol stoves. 1.7oz!
> www.prolitegear.com/snow_peak_titanium_bowl_stw003t.html

From: "Mike Martin" <mmmei@a...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 3:17 pm
Subject: Re: Punch (Now Ultralight Pot)

I've got an aluminum lid from an old nesting scout cook kit which fits
perfectly, although it does weigh a full ounce. The lids to the small
brasslite and antigravitygear pots look like they might fit also.
I've thought about foil, but like to keep the stove and rolled up
windscreen in the pot and want something sturdier to protect against
crushing them. Any suggestions?

-Mike

--- In BackpackingLight@yahoogroups.com, "Don Ladigin" <dladigin@y...>
wrote:
> What do you plan to use as a lid for the bowl/pot? Thanks, Don L.

From: "Frank Looper" <mapster@c...>
Date: Mon Feb 7, 2005 7:26 pm
Subject: Re: [BackpackingLight] Re: Punch (Now Ultralight Pot)

I've got an aluminum lid from an old nesting scout cook kit which fits
perfectly, although it does weigh a full ounce. The lids to the small
brasslite and antigravitygear pots look like they might fit also.
I've thought about foil, but like to keep the stove and rolled up
windscreen in the pot and want something sturdier to protect against
crushing them. Any suggestions?

-Mike